Saturday, February 12, 2011

Saturday Is a Special Day

We have a new routine around here... Saturday night is our "prep time". 8 o'clock church comes early {how is it that I can be out of the house with the kids on school days by 8 but can't be to church by 8?! Really gotta work on that!} so we've learned little tricks that help us to make Sunday mornings more peaceful. Shockingly, when I'm stressed I can be a yeller, and yelling for sure is not inviting to the spirit.




We get our hair cut and leave our attitude behind {but not our sarcasm!}

We try on our outfits and get our jewelry ready {don't worry I said no to the skull necklace!}

We practice our best smiles for Primary

We make sure our favorite boots are by Daddy's door to get shined

Then we take showers, read scriptures, say prayers, and head to bed. Saturday nights have become my favorite night around here. I love getting prepared for the Sabbath. I love that our family is working together to get ready to go to church. We have felt such a difference in our family over the past few weeks. I am so thankful for the changes we have made. I'm thankful for the atonement and the opportunity I have to go to church and feel the Spirit. I'm thankful for second, third, fourth, and fifth chances. I'm thankful for the power of prayer and for a loving Heavenly Father who knows me and my weaknesses. I'm thankful for change. I'm thankful for my amazing husband who is by my side every step of the way being my biggest fan. We have become so much closer as a couple, it's amazing the way things change when you have an eternal perspective. Tomorrow is our 3rd week back at church. 3 weeks in a row makes you officially "active" again. I love that we are active. It feels good to say that we are active. It's funny how my attitude has made such a difference. I spent so much time being bitter party of 1 that I didn't give the amazing women of my ward a chance. I'm so thankful they are still giving me and our family a chance.
A few weeks back I was taking Andy to Scouts and I got to the church and it was empty. I looked in my email and found his Scout leaders phone number and gave him a call. His wife answered and I told her who I was and that I was calling to make sure Scouts wasn't canceled. When I said my name the sweet sister she explained that she was my visiting teacher and she had been thinking of me. She told me that if I needed anything to please let her know. This was the key thing she said to me, "anything at all. Even just a friend to talk to, I'm here". This sister who I had ignored for months was offering me exactly what I needed at that time. A friend. Just another reminder of the Lord letting me know that I was doing the right thing and that He was mindful of His daughter who needed a little reassurance.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

You are awesome Autumn! :)