Tuesday, July 15, 2008

FHE


A few months ago I bought this book while I was at Deseret Book called "Before they Turn 12: Helping Children Gain a Testimony of the Lord's Standards". On the cover it said it was good for families with children aged 5-12, and that pretty much covers 2/3 of my kids, so I got it! With the move and everything I hadn't gotten the chance to use the book yet until last night. Basically the book introduces the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet to children and each lesson covers a different topic. While I was reading the lesson yesterday morning I was so excited to teach this to my kids. So I went to the distribution center (ps I LOVE living so close to all these great places!!) and got the pamphlets for my kids. I hadn't looked at one of those in a really long time, so it was cool to go back and flip through.

Anyway, last night was awesome! The kids got really into the lesson and were super excited about it. Last night was the introduction and we read the message from the first presidency. While at the distribution center I picked up a picture of the first presidency and of Christ, which also helped out with the lesson. We read about how if we follow the instruction that laid out for us in the book we would receive many blessings from being faithful. The kids were excited to learn and to hear about how important it is to follow the Prophet. The lesson was quick, but powerful and the Spirit was so strong.

If you have kids and are looking for some FHE ideas, this book is awesome! I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

AB said...

Oooo. Thanks for the suggestion. We may have to try that!

Brittany said...

So I totally don't want to be preachy and I totally don't want to sound lame but.....I am super proud of you Autty. You are doing such a good job with those kids. So is Bry of course, but I am talking to you. I am REALLY proud of you for having FHE every monday. That's not an easy feat, and you still do it. Good job!

Raadgep Fam said...

I am so glad you are having fun with the FHE stuff, My family did it liek 1-4 times a year. Mike and I are not good at it now! I am so proud of you! YEAH FOR THE GOSPEL

Kristin said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so glad you posted this! I'm so going to buy this book. Hayley will be twelve in January and I worry so much.