Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Banded




This is the band that will be around my stomach. The long cord goes up to like my belly button area and then the port is where I will get my fills. The plastic on the inside of the band is what gets filled or lessened as needed.


I wasn't sure if I was going to blog about this or not because I haven't really told a lot of people about it AT ALL. But I decided I'm not ashamed, so I'm going to let you all in on what's going on in my life.

It's not a secret that I'm overweight. It's not a secret that I have been for most of my life. Sure, there are times that I've lost weight but only to gain it all back plus some. I've tried everything you can possibly think of; weight watchers, south beach, jenny craig, alli, I've tried counting calories, counting fat grams, I've tried the Biggest Loser diet, and the list goes on and on and on. I'm tired of it. I hate being like this but it's HARD to change, right? Well, about a month ago Bry and I are laying in bed and I'm thinking about life, love, and the pursuit of happiness and all of a sudden I start thinking about if our insurance would cover weight loss surgery. Then I start thinking about how I would probably have to convince Bry into doing it with me (he's not had such good luck with surgery), but I couldn't stop thinking about it. I woke him up and talked to him and he says to call in the morning and see what insurance says.
The next morning I wake up and call. They tell me that it's covered 100% but needs to be pre-approved (I heart blue shield of CA!). So I look online find a Dr in the area and that is where our journey started. We thought for a while we wouldn't be able to do it, but we have been working with the BEST Dr and staff around and have worked with us to get everything we need to get approved.
We both decided to get lap band because it's less evasive and the recovery is a whole lot shorter. In fact, mine is an out patient surgery at a surgery center. Bry has to be in the hospital for his because of his sleep apnea they make him do it in the hospital. So he'll be staying overnight, but that's it!
Last Thursday I had my pre-op appointment and started my pre-op diet of only lean protein and protein shakes. It's not so much fun, but that's ok. I've not even had one slip up- so that's good for me! I've lost a total of 7lbs in the 6 days that I've been on the diet. I was originally scheduled for my surgery on the 22 but was called yesterday and asked if I could bump my surgery up to this Friday, the 16th! I was nervous to say yes, but I did! So I'm having surgery Friday and Bry will have his on the 27th.
I am so excited about this change in my life. What an amazing tool to help me lose weight. The thing that is so good about lap band is it's a much slower process so it's a lot easier on your body. We'll go in every 6 weeks to get fills or to take some saline out to ensure we're doing well with our weight loss. When I have the surgery they have the band and then there is a port that will be by my belly button and that's how they will do the fills.
I'm being super blessed to have my bff , Brittany, be totally self-less and come help me with my kiddos while I'm recovering. I'm so thankful for her support and love in this process. It's friends like that believe in me that I know will help me to reach my goals. You're the best, Britty!!
I'm not going to go into detail about how fat I am- just know the insurance company felt that I was in need of the surgery, so that says enough. When I weighed in at my pre-op appointment, Jen (the lady who works at my Dr office who had surgery herself and went from 285 to 127- WOW! Total inspiration!!) told me look at that number- now erase it from your mind because you'll never see it again!
I am so excited and I know that you, my good friends, will be there to help cheer me along. I am excited to embark on this new journey at the start of the new year. I'll keep you all posted with my progress, but you've got to help me with your support, sound like a deal?!

6 comments:

The Larsen's said...

I am so excited for you!!! Congrats!!!!

Claudia said...

Wow, that's pretty cool! I'm excited for you guys and I hope everything goes awesomely well! :)

Brittany said...

I am very proud of you Autty. You are such a brave person for taking this on. I am so proud of you for wanting to change and better your life. I am SO glad I can be there for you and help you. I love you and support you. From beginning to end. Just like you have been there for me. See you tomorrow toots!

AB said...

Wow! Being an overweight woman I know how difficult and exciting this decision was. Since today is Friday...I hope it went well and you are doing fantastically. I'm so very proud of you!

Lara said...

I am so excited for you. Please let me know how things go, and please let me know when you are getting sealed so I can try to make it. I miss you suga! Good luck with the surgery!!

Anonymous said...

You are brave to enter this new chapter in your life and take some control. I'm proud of you, and I know it's not an easy thing to talk about let alone with the whole world. YOU GO GIRL!!!