Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I'm SOOOO excited!!!

As many of you know, I went to culinary school from 2001-2002 here in Arizona, at Scottsdale Culinary Institute. I loved going to school, it was a lot of work (everyone sounds surprised by this, but it's true) and it was a lot of fun. It was a really fast paced environment and the stress level was sometimes more than I could handle. Overall, I learned a lot and am happy that I went to school. After school I did my extern ship at The Four Season's Troon North in Scottsdale as a Pastry Chef. I worked 14 hour days with no lunches and no brakes (it was super busy) but once again, I learned a lot and was happy to do it. I got burnt out really quick though. I loved baking and cooking, but I couldn't do it under all the pressure. I can remember going into work at 4am and not getting off until 6 pm more days than not. It became harder and harder to try and get Sunday's off and I felt like my life was The Four Seasons. Needless to say, I'm not a Pastry Chef any longer, but I miss it. I miss being creative. I miss putting my touch on someones dessert. Sure, there's always a recipe to follow, but there are a million ways to make it your own. I loved consulting with brides and making their dream cake. More than once I had brides cry when they were brought into the room to see the cake before the reception (tears of joy, of course! lol). It was an awesome feeling.
Fast forward 5 years and here I am, a stay at home mom who doesn't bake nearly enough. So, I get a phone call this morning from one of my friend's in my ward who her and her mom have a catering business... they want me to start making pastries for them! I'd talked to Pennie (the mom) in RS one day (I know, I should have been listening) and she told me she needed a pastry chef but that's all that went. So Shawn Marie (daughter and one of my friends) calls today and is spouting off parties they need things for. The best thing is, I can do this when my kids are at school, or Giovanni is napping. It totally won't take away from my family at all. My first two assignments are cakes. A Hollywood star birthday cake for Friday and a cake for a baptism on Saturday. I feel no stress, just pure excitement!! So, I just wanted to share my joy!! :)

3 comments:

Pure Images said...

Yay!! That is so awesome! Congrats!

Claudia said...

How exciting! And fun! Let us know how you like it. :)

Brittany said...

That's really cool Autumn. Make sure and post pictures of the cakes. Is this something you want to continue to do?