Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A Taco Stand In Heaven


At my wedding 3/23/07


When we were little kids my Grandma used to tell us we would have a Taco Stand in Heaven so that we wouldn't be afraid to die. We've often talked about this said taco stand and joked about how it will be when we all get up there and start cooking.
Yesterday I got a call that rocked my world. My Grandma suffered a massive stroke that left her with no brain waves. The Dr said it wasn't a matter of IF she would pass, it was a matter of WHEN. My dear Grandpa sat in the hospital holding his sweethearts hand and talking to her the whole time. He told the nurse "we've been married 66 years and I'd do it all again".
They put her on morphine so she wouldn't be in pain. At 1:15 this morning they stopped the morphine and at 1:25 my Grandma went to live with our Father in Heaven. My Grandpa said as he was talking to her those last 10 minutes he noticed out of one of her eyes tears were rolling down her face, he felt her Spirit so strong and knew her love for all of us.
My heart hurts. I cried myself to sleep last night. Twice. I found myself thinking about my Grandma and I could hear her sweet voice. I could hear her telling me that she was so proud of me and that I was "always smiling, always happy". I was in the shower this morning and I started wondering if my Grandma was helping to take care of my babies until they come here to me, thinking about that made me cry.
I am thankful for the knowledge of the Gospel. I feel comforted in knowing I will see my Grandma again and get the giggles when we're talking like I did in 99% of the conversations I had with her.
I'm sure she's having an amazing reunion with her brothers and sister and her parents. All of whom have been gone quite a while now. As for us? We're having tacos for dinner tonight, I can smell the beef cookin' from Heaven, can't you?

9 comments:

Loree said...

so sorry to hear about the loss of yor Grandma! I lost both my grandparents 2 years ago. i remember feeling shocked and saddend. Thankfully we know we will be with them again. That makes me happy! I will be thinking of you and your family. Take care lady :)

Claudia said...

I'm sorry Autumn. :( That's so sad, but so sweet to read the wonderful way in which you'll remember her and the great memories you have with her. :) I'll pray for your family and especially for your grandpa. I think that when you've found love, the worst thing is to imagine life without it. Love ya!

Cherene said...

What a sweet story. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you feel the Savior's arms around you, giving you comfort and strength as you grieve. He alone knows our pain and grief, and through him we can have joy--knowing that you'll see your Grandma at that taco stand in heaven some day. :)

Snyder Family said...

I am so sorry to hear about your family's loss. What a neat thing to do though, tacos! I love it! Now every time you have tacos you can have happy memories of your grandma.
And about her holding your future babies- my mom passed when I was 18, several years before I got married or had kids. When I was in labor and talking to my husband and in-laws they made the comment "Just think, your mom is probably holding Ainsley right now, telling her all kinds of stories about you!" That brought me so much comfort- I hope it helps you get through this tough time.

Katie said...

I'm so sorry about your Grandma! What wonderful memories you have of her. Autumn- it's Katie. You look amazing! I've missed your humor. It sounds like you have an amazing husband. Congratulations. It was sweet to see your face again. Email me.. Kwatts26@gmail

AB said...

Aren't we blessed to know Heavenly Father's plan for us?! ...although I didn't know we could get tacos in heaven. I'm excited to hear! Sending gi-normous hugs your way! love you.

Brittany said...

Oh Autumn. That blog just makes my heart hurt too. It REALLY makes me smile though. I love the memories. I have so many fond ones of my grandma Campbell and thats what gets me through when I am missing her the most. Hold on to those and cherish them. I know we talked about this already, but it just really makes me grateful for the Plan of Salvation. That we can be together again. What a sweet reunion for her to be with the rest of her family. It makes me smile to think about. I love you, stay strong, and pray lots. I am here, as you know.

Raadgep Fam said...

Ohhh I am so sorry! But you are right she is better in heaven and not in pain. I am so sorry that your day was so hard! I think you should name you first daughter after her somehow! Maybe Taco baby!

Pure Images said...

Aww, I know I am late on commenting, but I am sorry to hear about your grandma. I totally got crazy goosebumps reading the end of your post though. You have such a sweet heart Autumn! I am sure your grandma is watching over your little ones. =)